Benjamin Hoff is an American writer and Taoist philosopher. He is best known for his book The Tao of Pooh, which presents common sense Eastern philosophy in the guise of children’s literature. He also wrote The Te of Piglet and The Singing Creek Where the Willows Grow.
Hoff’s writing style is simple and direct, focusing on practical applications of Taoist philosophy. His work is often humorously illustrated with references to popular culture, particularly the Winnie-the-Pooh books by A. A. Milne. Hoff’s books have been translated into several languages and are popular among adults and children.
In addition to his work as a writer, Hoff is also a musician and artist. He has released several albums of original music, as well as an album of spoken word poetry. His artwork has been featured on television and in magazines.
Motivational Benjamin Hoff Quotes
- A saying from the area of Chinese medicine would be appropriate to mention here: “One disease, long life; no disease, short life.” In other words, those who know what’s wrong with them and take care of themselves accordingly will tend to live a lot longer than those who consider themselves perfectly happy and neglect their weakness. So, in that sense at least, a Weakness of some sort can do you a big favor, if you acknowledge that it’s there. Benjamin Hoff
- The surest way to become Tense, Awkward, and Confused is to develop a mind that tries too hard – one that thinks too much. Benjamin Hoff
- Enjoy the simple, the natural and the plain. Along with that comes the ability to do things spontaneously and have them work. Benjamin Hoff
- A clever mind is not a heart. Knowledge doesn’t really care, wisdom does. Benjamin Hoff
- It means that Tao doesn’t force or interfere with things, but lets them work in their own way, to produce results naturally. Then whatever needs to be done is done. Benjamin Hoff
- Carefully observe the natural laws in operation in the world around you, and live by them. From following them, you will learn the morality of modesty, moderation, compassion, and consideration (not just one society’s rules and regulations), the wisdom of seeing things as they are (not of merely collecting “facts” about them), and the happiness of being in harmony with the Way (which has nothing to do with self-righteous “spiritual” obsessions and fanaticism). And you will live lightly, spontaneously, and effortlessly. Benjamin Hoff
- Treat gain and loss the same.’ Don’t be Intimidated. Don’t make a Big Deal of anything – just accept things as they come to you. Benjamin Hoff
- Wisdom, Happiness, and Courage are not waiting somewhere out beyond sight at the end of a straight line; they’re part of a continuous cycle that begins right here. They’re not only the ending, but the beginning as well. Benjamin Hoff
- Like silence after noise, or cool, clear water on a hot, stuffy day, Emptiness cleans out the messy mind and charges up the batteries of spiritual energy. Many people are afraid of Emptiness, however, because it reminds them of Loneliness. Benjamin Hoff
- If people were superior to animals, they’d take good care of them,” said Pooh. Benjamin Hoff
- The masters of life know the way, for they listen to the voice within them, the voice of wisdom and simplicity, the voice that reasons beyond cleverness and knows beyond knowledge. Benjamin Hoff
- The Eeyore Educational System sees childhood as a waste of time, a luxury that society cannot afford . . . Put children in school at the earliest age possible; load them down with homework; take away their time, their creativity, their play, their power; then plug them into machines. Benjamin Hoff
- Reality is what one makes it. And the more negative reality one nurtures and creates, the more of it one has. Benjamin Hoff
- Within each of us there is an Owl, a Rabbit, and Eeyore, and a Pooh. For too long, we have chosen the way of Owl and Rabbit. Now, like Eeyore, we complain about the results. But that accomplishes nothing. If we are smart, we will choose the way of Pooh. As if from far away, it calls us with the voice of a child’s mind. It may be hard to hear at times, but it is important just the same, because without it, we will never find our way through the forest. Benjamin Hoff
- We don’t need to shift our responsibilities onto the shoulders of some deified Spiritual Superman, or sit around and wait for Fate to come knocking at the door. We simply need to believe in the power that’s within us, and use it. When we do that, and stop imitating others and competing against them, things begin to work for us. Benjamin Hoff
- To know the way, we go the way, we do the way. The way we do, the things we do, it’s all there in front of you. But if you try too hard to see it, you’ll only become confused. I am me and you are you. As you can see; but when you do the things that you can do, you will find the way. The way will follow you. Benjamin Hoff
- By the time it came to the edge of the Forest, the stream had grown up, so that it was almost a river, and, being grown-up, it did not run and jump and sparkle along as it used to do when it was younger, but moved slowly. For it knew now where it was going, and it said to itself, There is no hurry. We shall get there some day. Benjamin Hoff
- When you discard arrogance, complexity, and a few other things that get in the way, sooner or later you will discover that simple, childlike, and mysterious secret known to those of the Uncarved Block: Life is Fun. – Benjamin Hoff
- Do you really want to be happy? You can begin by being appreciative of who you are and what you’ve got. Benjamin Hoff
- Modern man’s difficulties, dangerous beliefs and feelings of loneliness, spiritual emptiness,and personal weakness are caused by his illusions about, and separation from, the natural world. Benjamin Hoff
- Everything has its own place and function. That applies to people, although many don’t seem to realize it, stuck as they are in the wrong job, the wrong marriage, or the wrong house. When you know and respect your Inner Nature, you know where you belong. You also know where you don’t belong. Benjamin Hoff
- The main problem with this great obsession for saving time is very simple: you can’t save time. You can only spend it. But you can spend it wisely or foolishly. Benjamin Hoff
- Things just happen in the right way, at the right time. At least when you let them, when you work with circumstances instead of saying, ‘This isn’t supposed to be happening this way,’ and trying harder to make it happen some other way. Benjamin Hoff
- Thousands of years ago, man lived in harmony with the rest of the natural world. Through what we would today call Telepathy, he communicated with animals, plants, and other forms of life-none of which he considered “beneath” himself, only different, with different jobs to perform. He worked side by side with earth angels and nature spirits, with whom he shared responsibility for taking care of the world. Benjamin Hoff
Famous Benjamin Hoff Quotes
There’s something magical about Benjamin Hoff’s quotes. They have a way of transcending the barriers of language and culture and resonating with people all over the world.
Benjamin Hoff is best known for his work The Tao of Pooh, which has sold millions of copies and been translated into dozens of languages. But Hoff is also a master of quotation; his words have inspired people from all walks of life.
Here are some of our favourite Benjamin Hoff quotes:
“If you live to be a hundred, I want to live to be a hundred minus one day, so I never have to live without you.”
“Don’t underestimate the value of Doing Nothing, of just going along, listening to all the things you can’t hear, and not bothering.”
In our fast-paced world, it’s easy to forget the importance of slowing down and appreciating the simple things in life. This quote reminds us that sometimes the best thing we can do is nothing.
“How many legs does a dog have if you call the tail a leg? Four. Calling a tail a leg doesn’t make it a leg.”
This quote is often misinterpreted as an attack on common sense. But Hoff is simply pointing out that reality.Hope you enjoyed these Famous Quotes, Share these HappyLives360 Quotes with your friends and family.