Haruki Murakami is a renowned Japanese author whose works have been translated into over 50 languages. His writing often explores the themes of loneliness, love, and loss. Here are some of our favorite quotes by Murakami on life, loneliness, and more.
Introduction: Who is Haruki Murakami, and why is he so well-known as an author?
“A life of loneliness” – Some critical quotes from Murakami relating to the state of being lonely.
“How much responsibility do I have in creating a happy world?” Murakami’s thoughts on reality, life, and each person’s responsibility for their happiness.
Conclusion: Restate your point of how isolation and loneliness are prominent themes in Haruki Murakami’s stories.
Motivational Haruki Murakami Quotes
Haruki Murakami is known for his quotes on life, love, and loneliness.
- “In the midst of life, everything revolved around death.” – Haruki Murakami
- “Listen up – there’s no war that will end all wars.”- Haruki Murakami
- “Even if we could turn back, we’d probably never end up back where we started.” – Haruki Murakami
- “I could hear the roots of loneliness creeping through me when the world was hushed at four o’clock in the morning.” – Haruki Murakami
- “Sometimes I get real lonely sleeping with you.”- Haruki Murakami
- “Two people can sleep in the same bed and still be alone when they close their eyes.” – Haruki Murakami
- “Pain is inevitable. Suffering is optional.” – Haruki Murakami, ‘What I Talk About When I Talk About Running’.
- “The most important thing we learn at school is the fact that the most important things can’t be learned at school.” – Haruki Murakami, ‘What I Talk About When I Talk About Running’.
- “And once the storm is over, you won’t remember how you made it through, how you managed to survive. You won’t even be sure, whether the storm is really over. But one thing is certain. When you come out of the storm, you won’t be the same person who walked in.”- Haruki Murakami
- “Listen, every object’s in flux… they don’t stay in one form or another or in one place forever.” – Haruki Murakami
- “I don’t know what I want. And, if that’s the case, as my ex-wife said, I’d only hurt people.”- Haruki Murakami.
- “In the world we live in, what we know and what we don’t know are like Siamese twins, inseparable, existing in a state of confusion.” – Haruki Murakami
- “I was always hungry for love. Just once, I wanted to know what it was like to get my fill of it—to be fed so much love I couldn’t take any more. Just once.” – Haruki Murakami
- “Anyone who falls in love is searching for the missing pieces of themselves. So anyone who’s in love gets sad when they think of their lover. It’s like stepping back inside a room you have fond memories of, one you haven’t seen in a long time.”- Haruki Murakami, ‘Kafka On The Shore’.
- “People fall in love without reason, without even wanting to. You can’t predict it. That’s love.” – Haruki Murakami
- “It’s hard to tell the difference between sea and sky, between voyager and sea. Between reality and the workings of the heart.” – Haruki Murakami
- “I never trust people with no appetite. It’s like they’re always holding something back on you.”- Haruki Murakami
- “Unclose your mind. You are not a prisoner. You are a bird in flight, searching the skies for dreams.” – Haruki Murakami
- “Memories warm you up from the inside. But they also tear you apart.”- Haruki Murakami
- “If you remember me, then I don’t care if everyone else forgets.”- Haruki Murakami
- “Most everything you think you know about me is nothing more than memories.” – Haruki Murakami
- “You can hide memories, but you can’t erase the history that produced them.” – Haruki Murakami
- “If you only read the books that everyone else is reading, you can only think what everyone else is thinking.”- Haruki Murakami.
- “Maybe it’s just hiding somewhere. Or gone on a trip to come home. But falling in love is always a pretty crazy thing.”- Haruki Murakami
- “Even chance meetings are the result of karma… Things in life are fated by our previous lives. That even in the smallest events there’s no such thing as coincidence.” – Haruki Murakami
- “As we go through life, we gradually discover who we are, but the more we discover, the more we lose ourselves.” – Haruki Murakami
- “Dreams come from the past, not from the future. Dreams shouldn’t control you – you should control them.” – Haruki Murakami
- “It’s just like Yeats said. In dreams begin responsibilities. Flip this around and you could say that where there’s no power to imagine, no responsibility can arise.” – Haruki Murakami
- “In this world, there are things you can only do alone, and things you can only do with somebody else. It’s important to combine the two in just the right amount.” – Haruki Murakami
- “What matters is deciding in your heart to accept another person completely. When you do that, it is always the first time and the last.”- Haruki Murakami
- “For a long time, she held a special place in my heart. I kept this special place just for her, like a ‘Reserved’ sign on a quiet corner table in a restaurant. Despite the fact that I was sure I’d never see her again.”
- “What happens when people open their hearts? They get better.”
- “I sometimes think that people’s hearts are like deep wells. Nobody knows what’s at the bottom. All you can do is imagine by what comes floating to the surface every once in a while.”
- “I just don’t get it, he told her. I love you so much. I want us to be one. This couldn’t be clearer to me, or more important. I don’t care if it’s unrealistic. That’s how much I love you.” – Haruki Murakami
- “We’re both looking at the same moon, in the same world. We’re connected to reality by the same line. All I have to do is quietly draw it towards me.” – Haruki Murakami
- “For a certain kind of person, love begins from something tiny or silly. From something like that or it doesn’t begin at all.” – Haruki Murakami
- “No mistake about it. Ice is cold; roses are red; I’m in love. And this love is about to carry me off somewhere.” – Haruki Murakami
- “Sometimes when I look at you, I feel I’m gazing at a distant star. It’s dazzling, but the light is from tens of thousands of years ago. Maybe the star doesn’t even exist any more. Yet sometimes that light seems more real to me than anything.”- Haruki Murakami
- “It’s not as if our lives are divided simply into light and dark. There’s shadowy middle ground. Recognizing and understanding the shadows is what a healthy intelligence does. And to acquire a healthy intelligence takes a certain amount of time and effort.” – Haruki Murakami
- “Life is not like water. Things in life don’t necessarily flow over the shortest possible route.” – Haruki Murakami
- “If you can love someone with your whole heart, even one person, then there’s salvation in life. Even if you can’t get together with that person.” – Haruki Murakami
Murakami’s writing has been praised for its insights into human psychology and emotions. In particular, his quotes on life, love, and loneliness have resonated with readers worldwide. Here are some of our favorite Haruki Murakami quotes:Hope you enjoyed these Famous Quotes, Share these HappyLives360 Quotes with your friends and family.