Ernest Hemingway was an American author and journalist. He was born in 1899 and died in 1961. Hemingway was a novelist, short story writer, and essayist. His writing style was defined by economy and understatement. In 1952, he won the Nobel Prize in Literature.
Introduction: The author is Ernest Hemingway, and he had many thoughts about nature, love, life, success, war, and more.
War: He did not think much of war and would disdain those from all sides that took part in the bloodshed.
Nature’s Role In Art: Be it the still life or rural landscape, all artistic progression comes from observing and capturing the essence, whether a flower or fertile valleys.
Closing Thoughts- Thank You For Reading!: A classic author with a deep view on many topics has at least one quote to say why you should never give up in any given circumstance, no matter how difficult it may seem.
Ernest Hemingway Quotes About Life
- “Write the best story that you can and write it as straight as you can.”
- “Do not worry. You have always written before and you will write now.”
- “Keep your head clear and know how to suffer like a man. Or a fish.”
- “The world breaks everyone and afterward many are strong at the broken places.”
- “I’m not brave anymore darling. I’m all broken. They’ve broken me.”
- “But life isn’t hard to manage when you’ve nothing to lose.”
- “I don’t want you to go away. I just said that. You go if you want to. But hurry right back. Why, darling, I don’t live at all when I’m not with you.”
- “We would be together and have our books and at night be warm in bed together with the windows open and the stars bright.”
- “The most painful thing is losing yourself in the process of loving someone too much, and forgetting that you are special too.”
- “I love sleep. My life has the tendency to fall apart when I’m awake, you know?”
- “If two people love each other there can be no happy end to it.”
- “The world is a fine place and worth fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.”
- Every man’s life ends the same way. It is only the details of how he lived and how he died that distinguish one man from another.
- “The first place where the truth must be faced is in the mirror.” -G.K Chesterton.
Feminism, as Mr. Chesterton so wisely points out, starts with each woman taking an honest look at herself. It’s not about blindly following some external “ideal” of what a woman should be, but rather about being true to who you are. And that means accepting all the aspects of yourself – the good and the bad – and learning to love yourself for who you are.
Once you can do that, you can start working on making positive changes in your life. You may want to get healthier or pursue a long-term goal. Whatever it is, don’t let anyone else tell you what you should or shouldn’t do – only YOU know what’s best for you. Trust yourself, and believe in your strength and abilities. You can achieve anything you set your mind to!
Ernest Hemingway Quotes About Success
- “All stories, if continued far enough, end in death, and he is no true-story teller who would keep that from you.”
- “A serious writer is not to be confounded with a solemn writer. A serious writer may be a hawk or a buzzard or even a popinjay, but a solemn writer is always a bloody owl.”
- “It’s none of their business that you have to learn how to write. Let them think you were born that way.”
- To an aspiring writer: “You shouldn’t write if you can’t write.”
- “My training was never to drink after dinner nor before I wrote nor while I was writing.”
- “All thinking men are atheists.”
- “No, that is the great fallacy: the wisdom of old men. They do not grow wise. They grow careful.”
- “The important thing is to have good water in the well, and it is better to take a regular amount out than to pump the well dry and wait for it to refill.”
- “How lazily the sun goes down in Granada, it hides beneath the water, it conceals in the Alhambra!”
- “Living was an earthen jar of water in the dust of the threshing with the grain flailed out and the chaff blowing.”
- “Fear of death increases in exact proportion to increase in wealth.”
- “All stories, if continued far enough, end in death.”
- “A beautiful vacuum filled with wealthy monogamists, all powerful and members of the best families all drinking themselves to death.
- For Hemingway, writing was not just his profession but his entire life. The following Ernest Hemingway quotes portray his earnest consideration of writing.
- “For a long time now I have tried simply to write the best I can. Sometimes I have good luck and write better than I can.”
- “That is what we are supposed to do when we are at our best – make it all up – but make it up so truly that later it will happen that way.”
Ernest Hemingway Famous Quotes
- “Writing and travel broaden your ass if not your mind and I like to write standing up.”
- “My aim is to put down on paper what I see and what I feel in the best and simplest way.”
- “When writing a novel a writer should create living people; people not characters. A character is a caricature.”
- “Prose is architecture, not interior decoration, and the Baroque is over.”
- “All you have to do is write one true sentence. Write the truest sentence that you know.”
- “Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
- “Why did they make birds so delicate and fine as those sea swallows when the ocean can be so cruel?”
- “Perhaps I should not have been a fisherman, he thought. But that was the thing that I was born for.”
- “Only I have no luck anymore. But who knows? Maybe today. Every day is a new day. It is better to be lucky. But I would rather be exact. Then when luck comes you are ready.”
- “There are many who do not know they are Fascists, but will find it out when the time comes.”
- “If we win here we will win everywhere. The world is a fine place and worth the fighting for and I hate very much to leave it.”
- “There’s no one thing that’s true. It’s all true.”
- “No animal has more liberty than the cat, but it buries the mess it makes. The cat is the best anarchist.”
- “The way to make people trustworthy is to trust them.”
- “When people talk listen completely. Don’t be thinking what you’re going to say. Most people never listen.”
- “But man is not made for defeat… A man can be destroyed but not defeated.”
- “Courage is grace under pressure.”
- “An intelligent man is sometimes forced to be drunk to spend time with his fools.”
Ernest Hemingway was famous for his quotes about nature, love, life, success, war, and writing.Hope you enjoyed these Famous Quotes, Share these HappyLives360 Quotes with your friends and family.